2009/10/11

goes around chopping

I have been using Windows Live Writer to write my blog posts all this while however, since moving to a Mac, I find that it's not compatible. Ok, it has the word "Windows" and we can all guess what OS platform this tool is meant for but it's still a bit sad that it cannot work with a Mac because it's one of the nicest (and free) blog editor software available. I got a Macbook Pro two weeks ago and I absolutely adore it. Actually, le hubby got it for me as a birthday gift (how cool is it being married to a nerd!). Not only does Live Writer not work with my new machine, Nokia PC Suite doesn't as well. Argh...! And the few applications available for transferring files from a Nokia mobile phone to a Mac does not work on OS X 10.6.x onwards. Double argh...!

I cannot complain though because like I said, I adore my Mac. I love it with all my heart and soul. This baby flies and the interface is so clean that I forgive it for all its shortcomings. I have held off getting a Mac all these years because I always thought that it was difficult to use and I would need to re-learn everything I know. After getting one, I find it is very simple to move over to Mac. In fact, there's hardly a learning curve. I am now thinking of naming it MacLeod, after the lead character in The Highlander, you know, the guy who goes around chopping off people's heads to live forever. That's right, my Macbook will live forever too (sans the gory head hacking, that is)!

So, this is a food blog. And I have spent two long paragraphs waxing lyrical over my Mac. If you are reading this drivel, you probably did not know what you were getting yourself into, eh?

One of the nicest things to do on a weekend is to have a good dim sum brunch with le hubby. It's great being married to a man who loves his grub. Just entice the fella with promises of tasty dishes (and um, pork) and he's sold. For dim sum, our haunt is Imperial China (a Tai Thong branch). We like the atmosphere and the service is always great. I think they still offer the 30% discounts on Saturdays but I forgot to check, so don't take my word for it.

We usually order a basket of chicken feet or Phoenix Claws, if you want a more sophisticated name. The "claws" have to be stewed and steamed until the skin, meat and tendons just melt in your mouth along with the savoury sauce. Le hubby who is a gem of knowledge sometimes, told me that China is the largest importer of chicken feet from the US. Due to a recent trade war, the Chinese government threatened to cease the imports but the US reckons they are all empty threats because the Chinese seem to like their chicken feet a bit too much to stop.

Har gow or prawn dumpling is a little less controversial. This is my personal favourite and honestly, dim sum feels rather incomplete without har gow. Good har gow has to have a thin, semi-translucent skin. The prawns encased within should not be overcooked and has to retain a slightly chewy texture. The har gow in Imperial China may not be superior as I have tasted better ones but it is satisfying enough.

I took very few photos that day because I was too busy eating :-)

What is your favourite dim sum?

2 comments:

mycookinghut said...

I love chicken feets! :)

noobcook said...

I love dim sum! I love both har kow and feng jiao, I also love the prawns in crispy beancurd skin and the desserts after. You are making me hungry! :D