2009/10/25

pleats and ruffles


It's been quite a long while since I completed a knitted project I really liked. When I first came across Debbie Bliss' Pleated Wrap, my initial thought was, "how boring...". But the more I looked at it, the more I started loving its simplicity.



I didn't even have to block it although I'm sure if would benefit from some light blocking. I used Debbie Bliss Cathay yarn in a lovely shade called Old Rose. The drape of Cathay is wonderful but I must admit I don't enjoy knitting with this yarn much because it tends to get rather splitty. There are better cotton yarns out there and this is probably the last I would bother with Cathay.



I was attracted to this pattern because of the ruffles. Who can resist them?



Ruffle, ruffle, ruffle...

 

I think I need a dressmaker body form. Honestly, it is not a fantastic experience taking self portraits especially when having to shuttle back and forth between the camera and where I stood. I don't even know what the camera was focusing at. Not to mention the heat of tropical weather makes this a rather sweaty exercise too. Not good when you have knitted wear on you.

I would consider this a success and feel quite inspired about starting another project. I have been meaning to use a bunch of Rowan All Seasons Cotton in my stash and I just need to go hunt for a suitable project for the six balls I have.

project details:


3 comments:

grumperina said...

Sometimes the simplest things are the easiest to knit in our busy lives, the most practical, the most useful... I know I'd get a lot of wear from that scarf, personally, it's beautiful!

Noob Cook said...

I tried learning crochet using a pretty fail-safe dummy book but I still manage to fail miserably. So you are a total genius in my eyes hehe

Yes the ruffles are really pretty and I love the pink shade as well. This is such an elegant and pretty creation.

Eliana said...

Oh, you did a great choice for the warmer weather. Lovely wrap, this color is perfect for these ruffles... just adorable!