I can't believe we are in September 2010 already, where does time go? My family and I had to deal with a very sad loss as my gran passed away. It was an unexpected death and I think I have not quite come to terms with it yet. We gathered with our relatives and went through the Chinese funeral rituals and ceremonies for several days and nights. I met cousins whom I have not seen in years and cannot believe how grown up everyone is.
The day before my gran's passing, I started to knit a little something for my mum in-law. A couple of years ago, I offered to knit her a shawl or something more elaborate. But my MIL asked if I could make her a neckerchief instead. She needs one for her morning walks. I casted on and frogged a number of projects before settling on the Goldie Neckerchief, a recent pattern published on Ravelry. I also had some pretty bamboo yarn hand-dyed by a local knitter.

I'm glad it turned out okay. As I was knitting, I had some doubts because it looked rather wonky on my needles.

This can be worn several ways, on the front, back and to the side. Projects in garter stitch are good for non-knitters because they usually cannot tell right from wrong side :-) And bamboo is the perfect yarn for tropical weather... it actually feels "cooling" when worn.

Project Details
Pattern : Goldie Neckerchief by Rachel Hunnicutt (Ravelry link)
Yarn : Dream Passion Superwash Bamboo in Raspberry Coffee (Etsy link)
Needles : 3.5mm
Used : approx. 130m
ravel it!
I hope my MIL likes it. I have not gifted it yet and I don't think she's reading my blog or tracking my flickr photos, so it should come as a surprise.
August has been a month of change. Not only did we have to deal with a death in the family, but my sister (who's now a qualified doctor!) has moved in to live with my hubs and I for several months until she finds her own place. She's currently doing her housemanship at a local hospital and is working some insane shift for the next two weeks. I'm really proud of the lil' monkey and have complete faith that she will do well in her chosen career :-)
She was telling me the hospital gets pretty chilly due to the strong air-conditioning and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to knit a wrap for her.

She likes green and this yarn was purchased a couple of years ago with the intent of knitting something for her. When I first saw it on the skein, I thought the colour looked rather strong and erm... very green. But once I started knitting with it, I began to appreciate the intensity.
As for the self-designed cardigan, it's coming along and is almost 75% complete. I just realised I have not knitted a full garment with wool before. All the past wooly projects were scarves. The cardigan has gotten to a point where it's rather warm and heavy and when it sits on my lap, it feels like a mini blanket. That's a problem with knitting in the tropics. I can only bear knitting it in air-conditioned environments now.
I should have it completed in time for my trip to China. We are visiting my brother in-law and his family in Beijing again. The last time I went there, I fell completely in love with China and its people. I don't think we'll be doing a lot of sight-seeing this time but it's more of a "lifestyle" trip with lots of shopping involved (I hope!).
The day before my gran's passing, I started to knit a little something for my mum in-law. A couple of years ago, I offered to knit her a shawl or something more elaborate. But my MIL asked if I could make her a neckerchief instead. She needs one for her morning walks. I casted on and frogged a number of projects before settling on the Goldie Neckerchief, a recent pattern published on Ravelry. I also had some pretty bamboo yarn hand-dyed by a local knitter.

I'm glad it turned out okay. As I was knitting, I had some doubts because it looked rather wonky on my needles.

This can be worn several ways, on the front, back and to the side. Projects in garter stitch are good for non-knitters because they usually cannot tell right from wrong side :-) And bamboo is the perfect yarn for tropical weather... it actually feels "cooling" when worn.

Project Details
Pattern : Goldie Neckerchief by Rachel Hunnicutt (Ravelry link)
Yarn : Dream Passion Superwash Bamboo in Raspberry Coffee (Etsy link)
Needles : 3.5mm
Used : approx. 130m
ravel it!
I hope my MIL likes it. I have not gifted it yet and I don't think she's reading my blog or tracking my flickr photos, so it should come as a surprise.
August has been a month of change. Not only did we have to deal with a death in the family, but my sister (who's now a qualified doctor!) has moved in to live with my hubs and I for several months until she finds her own place. She's currently doing her housemanship at a local hospital and is working some insane shift for the next two weeks. I'm really proud of the lil' monkey and have complete faith that she will do well in her chosen career :-)
She was telling me the hospital gets pretty chilly due to the strong air-conditioning and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to knit a wrap for her.

She likes green and this yarn was purchased a couple of years ago with the intent of knitting something for her. When I first saw it on the skein, I thought the colour looked rather strong and erm... very green. But once I started knitting with it, I began to appreciate the intensity.
As for the self-designed cardigan, it's coming along and is almost 75% complete. I just realised I have not knitted a full garment with wool before. All the past wooly projects were scarves. The cardigan has gotten to a point where it's rather warm and heavy and when it sits on my lap, it feels like a mini blanket. That's a problem with knitting in the tropics. I can only bear knitting it in air-conditioned environments now.
I should have it completed in time for my trip to China. We are visiting my brother in-law and his family in Beijing again. The last time I went there, I fell completely in love with China and its people. I don't think we'll be doing a lot of sight-seeing this time but it's more of a "lifestyle" trip with lots of shopping involved (I hope!).
3 comments:
Love the look of that green wrap, the colour is great!
It's good to see you start to knit & blog again! :)
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. Hugs.
Your neck scarf is so pretty, I'm sure your mum in law will like it! And congrats to your sis!
The green wrap is looking good so far. Love the colour :)
Thanks, Audrey!
Erin, thanks for your well wishes too :-)
Post a Comment