2009/09/07

rat-a-tat-touille

I have never tasted ratatouille until I tried out Gordon Ramsay’s Basic Ratatouille recipe two years ago. Of course that little Pixar mouse had an influence on me too. I have read about this lovely French Provencal dish before but never thought about cooking it until the movie. That goes to show what can sometimes compel me to do something in the kitchen.

ratatouille

Ratatouille is my go-to comfort food. There is something about the fusion of simple vegetables in a semi-stew like form that is very satisfying to the palate as well as warming to the tummy.

I could not find any proper courgettes at the market and had to leave it out of the recipe. They all came pre-packed along with the yellow courgette and I did not want to buy both just for the sake of having one green one.

Another reason why I like ratatouille so much is that it is fairly easy to cook. I did not make the layered version because I do not have a mandolin and did not want to risk having un-uniformed slices due to my lack of knife skills :-)

I made a mistake of not letting the pot simmer without the lid because my version turned out a bit more liquidy than the usual. It still tasted good and this time I added a single bay leaf for taste. Being Chinese, le hubby and I ate this with a small portion of rice, served alongside with other dishes.

I would one day have this on French bread with some warm, hearty soup. Thinking about this combination now makes me feel whipping up another batch of ratatouille! In fact, I have adequate ingredients sitting in the fridge… hmmm…

2 comments:

Y said...

Love ratatouille - not just the flavours, but the colours you get from using different vegetables too. Plus it's a cute word, and these days it also reminds me of the movie :)

noobcook said...

Love Ratatouille - both the movie and the dish. Your photos are so beautiful and your version looks so comforting. Thanks for visiting me, glad to find your blog. There is so much good looking food here! Post more! ;)