Last weekend, le hubby and I enjoyed another long weekend, with Monday being a public holiday. Actually, we were not expecting another holiday so soon after just enjoying one the week before. But I’m not one to complain… bring on the public holidays, people!
On Sunday evening, we were doing our usual laze-about and again, we didn’t have any set plans for dinner. I decided to check out the myriad of KL food blogs to see if something could tickle my tummy. I came across a few reviewing Tenji, a Japanese buffet restaurant, and saw several photos of rather huge fresh raw oysters. I was sold.
As le hubby and I hardly ever venture out around the vicinity of Mont Kiara, we were rather stumped on trying to figure out the exact location of the restaurant. Even after looking through a few maps, we couldn’t quite figure out where Solaris Mont Kiara was.
Enter Mr. GPS (on our brand spankin’ new smartphones)!
The ride there was stress-free because we just let Mr. GPS calculate and recalculate and plan our route. Also, it was rather late that Sunday evening and the traffic was relatively clear. If it were left up to le hubby and I to find that restaurant, it would have taken us nearly two hours of circling around the wrong roads, stopping to ask for directions and eventually giving up.
We arrived at Tenji Japanese Buffet restaurant with great anticipation. To our surprise, there was quite a queue of hungry supper eaters (it was 10PM when we arrived) all eagerly awaiting to gorge themselves on the supper-time offering.
I was getting rather impatient by then and just wanted to get in and stuff my face! I guess almost all the patrons that night had the same thought because I have never came across a crowd as “kiasu” (afraid to lose) as this one. Once we got in and were shown our table, I immediately began scouring the buffet tables and stalls to see what they had.
I was honestly rather disappointed with the spread. The oysters were not as big as the ones I saw online (albeit fresh) and the food selection was so-so. I had also seen some giant scallops on the other food blogs but could not locate any that night. Bummer! Maybe because people there were so kiasu that they took all the good stuff? I was standing next to a guy who hogged the sashimi and piled loads of sake (salmon) on his plate, that I was left with just a few miserly slices when it came to my turn. I was surprised that they did not offer any sashimi maguro (tuna) as well, which is my favourite raw fish. Double bummer!
Le hubby was not too impressed too. The cooked food selection was not as varied and since he’s not a big fan of the raw stuff, he didn’t quite get his fill. He was also waiting for the very elusive young coconut drink and it was only towards the end of our meal that we got a couple of the little things. He is not a selfish person and only took one each (bless his kind heart) but the table of three next to us returned with 18 coconuts (and they’ve already had plenty before). Good grief!
Good thing we did not have to pay full price for the buffet as I think they were having a promotion of some sort. Perhaps that’s the reason why the options were not that fantastic. I felt it was slightly over-rated and the greedy crowd was a real turn-off. Sadly, I highly doubt we would return to Tenji’s anytime soon :-(
* please note that this was based on my personal experience and opinion and should not deter others from trying out Tenji’s *
No comments:
Post a Comment