2009/09/19

three cups for dinner

Before dinner, I made myself a mid-afternoon snack. I had skipped lunch today and felt rather peckish around 4pm. I still had a couple of nectarines left and chopped a quarter up, served it with plain yoghurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. I like it when things are simple and satisfying :-)

afternoon snack

Which brings me to what I made for dinner tonight…

The last time I had Three Cups Chicken (San Bei Ji) was when we visited my in-laws in Beijing back in April. They took us to a Taiwanese restaurant and ordered this very tasty dish. It’s been on my mind since but I have not really cooked for a long time and it was only recently that I dusted off my pots and pans to make proper home-cooked meals again.

Food and cooking blogs are such inspirations. When I came across Rasa Malaysia’s version of the Three Cups Chicken, it dawned on me that I must cook this too. There is an equally yummy version by Noob Cook, gosh… they are all honestly drool-worthy.

I didn’t realise the kicap I used was not of the “manis” (sweet) type but it was just thick soy sauce. It was only when I tasted the sauce when it was about done that it was saltier than what I’d expected. And believe it or not, I didn’t even have any sugar available in the house, the one thing I had forgotten when grocery shopping today. Later on, I remembered I had some sugar in little sachets (you know, the ones used for coffee or tea) but I wasn’t bothered about adding any in. Besides, the sauce tasted great with plain white rice!

And oh, the fragrance that wafted in the kitchen was simply delish!

No comments: