2009/09/16

which of the three

We haven’t had much luck with eating out lately. Either the service was not impressive or the food quality was not as stellar as we’d hope. Last evening, le hubby and I decided to try out a nearby restaurant that opened about three months ago. We have passed by many times but the place was usually packed and we would then give it a miss. Yesterday, the Simply Nyonya restaurant was rather empty, so we thought it would be a good time to try out the food there.

We ordered the chicken curry with kaffir lime leaves. It was good and the fragrant lime leaves made the dish taste a bit more interesting than the usual.

The assam prawns were all right and a bit oily and soggy. I felt it lacked piquancy that should accompany a dish cooked with tamarind.

The stir-fried kangkung belacan (water convolvulus, also known as water spinach) was quite nicely done and the portion rather generous.

You would think that this looked like a nice meal. Yes, it was enjoyable enough and had a home-cooked flavour to it. But we both woke up with rather upset tummies in the morning and suffered from something not-to-pleasant for most of the day. At least, I did. So now we wonder, which of the three dishes caused our tummies to churn?

Having been through an unsettled stomach the whole day, all I could think of eating was a simple dinner at home. I went through the pantry and dug out several ingredients I have been meaning to use but never quite got around to.

Something soupy and comforting is always a good thing. Also, somen has got be one of my favourite noodles now. And yes, even if my tummy is killing me, I’ll still have my bird’s eye chillies! I’m not certain why the mushrooms blackened this much during the cooking process but they tasted fine. Taking this photo made me realise that I need to learn how to “style” my food because this just looked like a bunch of stuff carelessly thrown in (actually, it was).

At least I am feeling better now, so the food may not be very pretty, however it cured a troubled tummy :-)

No comments: